[BrianWall-ChessList] The Irish (Colorado) "Attack" Reaction by Jack Young

Brian Wall brianwallchess3 at taom.com
Sun Mar 27 06:56:51 MST 2005

----- Forwarded message from Jack Young <whitesquirrel at worldnet.att.net> -----
    Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:50:03 -0500
    From: Jack Young <whitesquirrel at worldnet.att.net>
 Subject: The Irish (Colorado) "Attack"
      To: Brian Wall <brianwallchess3 at taom.com>

(Maybe you can post this somewhere)

Brian,

Seeing all this stuff on the Colorado Defense brings back memories.  I lost
games with it to GM Alexander Ivanov, Patrick Wolff and Ilya Gurevich.  (John
Curdo never gave me the chance) Gutless wimp IM Joe Fang Declined it via 1.e4
Nc6 2.Nf3 f5 3.e5!!!   :-)  I had a game of mine published in "A Gnat May
Drink" back from 1991 vs. Lou Mercuri where I was down the exchange and 6 pawns
but managed to scarf out a draw.  Actually I was probably winning in the final
position but had no time left on the clock.  This opening is better than the
fishing pole but not by much which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

I also played its blood brother the Irish Attack or "Leprechaun" a few times
over the board.  1.f4 e5 2.Nc3!!! which is a Fred a tempo up. (1.e4 f5!!!)  I
ended up beating Mike Casella (when he was only a 2100), Bob Secino (2173) and
a few A-players (all in under 20 moves) but lost a game to big John Curdo which
got published in the Boston Globe.  In some of these games I ended up with
really good Muzio gambits!

Actually the naming of this opening was a joke in itself.  A reader of the Myers
Openings Bulletin said no opening was named after the Irish so he thought they
deserved one.  Myers didn't like that.  Tim Harding, in his book on Irregular
Openings, said "this is insulting to the Irish."  Well, Tim, I think the joke
is on you as I don't think the Irish Attack is as bad as it looks!  I think
Myers also brought up a reference that it was mentioned by one Scipione
Genovino back in the Triassic period.  Maybe it should be called the "Italian
Attack".

I never had the chance but I always wanted to play the "Chipmunk" opening which
I analyzed back in the early 1990's. (another blood brother).  1.f4 e5 2.Nf3!!!
 Actually I played it against Doug Grant in one of those silly chile super bowls
and lost but it wasn't the opening's fault.  Rand Springer had a game with this
opening.

Rand Springer did an article on "A Freak Opening Repertoire for White with
1.c4".  1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.f4!!! and if 3...ef4 4.d4 Nh5 5.Nf3!? is
interesting. You might mention this to Paul Szeligowski.

Mention was also made in Rand Springer of 1.f4 e5 2.c3!!! (Moose) ef4 3.Qa4 and
if 3...Qh4+ 4.g3 fg3!!!  5.Qxh4.

I've also played the "True Fred" 1.e4 f5!!! 2.ef5 Kf7!!! a couple times in OTB
games ... scoring 1.5 out of 2.

In summary I can say that these early f-pawn openings, while amusing, are
probably not quite sound.  It's always great to see the look on your opponents
face when he loses to one of these openings, though.

Bozo The Clown
----- End forwarded message -----